Monday, January 10, 2011

Tossing My Hat Into the Ring

Perhaps inexplicably, one of my unstated, unwritten, but thought-of-and-by-golly-it-appears-acted-on resolutions for 2011 was to start a blog. Not that I have anything of importance or particular interest to share. Goodness knows, that's not the case.

But one of the many life-changing things that happened suddenly last summer was my becoming unemployed. (More on this another time.) As a result, my days are somewhat lacking in shape and impetus. I tend to sleep late, take a nap in the afternoon, and put off until tomorrow what I could be doing today. I have work to do, that's not the problem. The problem -- which is not really a problem, just a truth -- is that for 20+ years I left the house and went to an office, where I stayed for 8 or 9 hours before returning home. Like everyone else who's a 9-to-5er, I managed to fit in all my personal life -- hobbies, housework, civic obligations, friends and family, etc -- around the edges. Now I have a home office, no coworkers, mostly distant deadlines, very little sense of urgency, and my days have no edges. Or they're entirely edge; I'm not sure which. I'm talking about structure, people -- my life lacks it.

So one of the things I'm hoping this blog will do is give my week more shape. Writing two blog posts a week should be doable, so I hereby resolve to do that. (Hey, one down already, nearly.) I also hope having a blog will get me to think about my life and work and creations more than I tend to and maybe blow my own horn a bit. I make jewelry, write a local newsletter, help organize a farmers market, and am a self-employed editor and project manager, so I should be able to find some material there. No kids, so this won't be a mommy blog, but my live-in boyfriend does have a 9-year-old son, so he should be good for some amusing stories.

I read enough blogs (but follow none; I don't understand following -- maybe someone can explain that to me and sell me on it) to know that bloggers at a loss tend to adopt patterns like "Musical Monday," "House Tour Tuesday," "Wordless Wednesday," etc. I may resort to this but change the themes. How about "Too-Too Tuesday" in which I post about excesses I've witnessed or been party to? I'll keep thinking on that. Bloggers also tend to share their meals, digitally anyway. I've seen enough photos of people's breakfasts, lunches, and dinners to make me promise that I will never do that here. I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to do, but whatever it is, it'll happen twice a week. Promise or threat? You decide.

Next time I'm tell you at least a little more about what happened last summer, suddenly and not so suddenly, that has so resonated in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment